Pages

Friday, May 16, 2008

A Study in Contrasts

My daughter is a girly-girl. She loves jewelry, hats, clothing changes, kissing her reflection in the mirror and especially SHOES - she is 100% girl. And although I think it's sweet and innocent, I have no idea where she gets all this femininity from.

This morning Betsy found a pair of purple metallic shoes. And even though they are 4 sizes too big for her, she insisted on wearing them (because, as she reasoned, they don't have to feel good they just have to look good). She paraded around the house in those sparkling slippers all morning and smiled the whole time.

But my jewel-wearing-shoe-loving offspring is also a bit of a slob, too. During most meals she will find a way to put food somewhere that it doesn't belong - on the dog, on the walls, in her hair. She thinks that cups are for sissies and prefers to slurp her milk directly from her highchair tray. And those who've had the pleasure of watching her eat, know I'm not kidding when I say she eats like a full-grown man.

After lunch today, as I was cleaning up her highchair, hair, face and clothes, I told her what a pig I think she is. Betsy gave me the sweetest smile and then snorted.

I guess we're a lot alike after all.

No comments: