Pages

Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Scarecrow

My children create A LOT of artwork - both at school and at home.  I try to appreciate their scribbles as much as possible and when they create something especially artistic, I try to showcase it in our home.  Here is a scarecrow recently painted by Elliot during his Fall Party (the pc version of Halloween).



Pretty good for a five-year-old, don't you think?  Well, I did.  And as I was applying tape the scarecrow's back and preparing to display him on our front hall door, Elliot enlightened me with the scarecrow's gender.

ELLIOT:  "I drew a penis on my scarecrow."
ME:  "You did what?" (Not quite sure I heard him right)
ELLIOT:  "I drew a penis on my scarecrow so now you can know he's a boy.  See?"

Sure enough, there between the hay man's legs was a small but distinct male body part.  Thankfully, my son isn't into realistic-looking anatomy or I may have received a call from his teacher.  Regardless, we had a nice long talk about what you can and cannot draw on pictures.  And, for that matter, where your hands are and are not allowed to go when out in public. 

*sigh*  The joys of raising boys.

No comments: