Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

What I've Been Up To

Question:

What do you get when you add an over-zealous volunteer and a Type A personality?



Answer:

When Elliot started kindergarten, I knew that I wanted to be as involved in his school as my schedule would permit. Not only did I want my family to feel like we were part of a larger community, but I also wanted my children to have the advantage of my involvement in their education.

My schedule didn't really allow me to help out much last year. I did the best I could, but I wished I could have done more. So when the volunteer sign-up came home from school this fall, I jumped right in with both feet. And when I jump in, I JUMP IN.

I'm now in charge of the costumes for the school's winter musical, which is a revue of six different Broadway musicals. The school already has a supply of costumes from years past, but most of the costumes need alterations and some need to be made from scratch.

Here's what I'm making:
  • 10 school-girl skirts
  • 7 peasant outfits (skirt/top or dress)
  • 4 mermaid tails and tops
  • 1 seagull costume
  • 1 fish costume
  • 1 police uniform
  • 60+ bowties
There may be more eventually, but right now that's just enough to make it look like a bomb's been detonated in my living room.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are amazing!!! I tried hemming some pants this weekend and that was a major project : )