Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My Summer Plan

With the kids and me home together for the summer, I knew I would need something to keep us from killing each other. Sure, we've got some activities planned like gymnastics, golf and swimming. But I also wanted something that would keep the kids occupied (read: NOT sitting in front of some sort of screen), out of my hair and would reward them for both cooperative play as well as independent play. Aside from straight jackets and padded rooms, I wasn't sure what that plan would look like.


Allow me to introduce you to Summer Bingo - my keep-the-kids-happy-and-out-of-my-hair summer solution. Each week, the kids are given a new bingo sheet. The sheets include the standard 25 squares (without the free space) and each square is filled with a different activity.


As they complete activities, they are given a sticker to mark off that square. Once they get 5 in a row, they get a ticket. Tickets can be redeemed once a week at "Mom's Store." At the store there are toys of different ticket values, as well as non-toy things like 30 minutes of computer time and admission to a museum of your choice.






We've been doing Summer Bingo for two weeks now and it seems to be a big success. They seem to be motivated to complete the squares and earn tickets. Each kid has earned a toy and also saved their tickets for a bigger "purchase." I really hope this keep-the-kids-happy-and-out-of-my-hair summer solution stays that way.

No comments: