Pages

Friday, June 18, 2010

What We Did With the Berries

I knew when we went berry picking that I would need to have a plan for what to do with the berries we picked. But I had no idea how many berries we would end up picking. And 12 pounds is A LOT of berries.


So we started out with our plan. First up? Strawberry Freezer Jam. We made 12 jars of jam and barely made a dent in our berry supply.


Next I made strawberry leather. Used another 4 cups of berries and hardly noticed the difference.

Then it was on to ziploc ice cream with fresh berries on top. This sounded like a good idea in theory, but shaking a bag of ice for 10 minutes turned out to be a lot more than the kids wanted to do.

After a little help from mom, they were able to enjoy the fruits of their labor (albeit a little soupy).



But we still have A LOT of strawberries left. I plan to make a strawberry pie for Father's Day. And with my fruit-loving kiddos to nibble on the rest, we will hopefully be done with all our berries before they go bad.

No comments: