Pages

Friday, December 7, 2007

Epace on Earth

Christmas with little kids is the best. Elliot knows who Santa Claus is. He knows that he needs to be good for Santa to leave him presents (and good boys take NAPS!). He has a resin nativity set that he loves to play with and tells me all about the kings and kneelers (shepherds) who visited the baby Jesus and his mommy and daddy. He understands what is happening and looks forward to each new adventure.

Elliot has loved watching our house transform into a holiday wonderland. He and Betsy get hours of entertainment from taking the ornaments off the tree, throwing them around the living room and then putting them back on the tree. He is in awe of the outside lights on the houses in our neighborhood (his favorite is the all-blue lights). And every day he carefully opens a new drawer on our Advent calendar to reveal another ornament for the little tree. He couldn't be happier with the decorations or more pleased with his contributions to them.

And his greatest pleasure is our mantle. The other day, I carefully unpacked and arranged our stockings along the fireplace. I was proud of the results. When I showed them to Elliot, he thought it looked great too. But he had one minor adjustment to make. Apparently, the letters were in the wrong order. He explained to me where they needed to go and I had no choice but to follow orders (trust me, I didn't have a choice!). I even tried to switch them back later that day, but he discovered my treachery and made me put them back the way he had them.

The perfectionist in me is bothered by our mantle. But the mom in me knows that he is only going to be little for the blink of an eye. And before I know it (or want it to happen), he won't give a hoot where the stockings are as long as they're filled with toys!

This year, my Christmas wish for all of you is Epace on Earth and Good Will Toward Little Men!

No comments: