Pages

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Taking Stock

The wrapping paper is crumpled and thrown away, the cardboard boxes are by the curb, the new clothes are folded neatly in drawers and the cookies have all been eaten. The Christmas-crazies have settled down and it's time to take stock of another great holiday.

Betsy got everything she asked for. Since her vocabulary is about 7 words, 3 of which are unintelligible, she had the easiest demands to meet. Betsy got a dollhouse from Santa and clothes, books and a caterpillar game from mom and dad. She's very happy with all of her presents and usually has to fight Elliot to be able to play with them (oh, the plight of a second child!).

Elliot got his beloved letter book from Santa. Mom and Dad gave him underwear (Betsy discovered these in Mommy's not-too-clever hiding spot, otherwise the big man would probably have had the dirty deed of giving undergarments), books, a marble game, train toys and a remote-control car. Even though he didn't get his Harold book or comic and it was a marble game and not a slide, I think he had a pretty good holiday. And, luckily, Elliot's birthday is only a month away. Because, thanks to his cousins, he now wants a digital camera, remote-control train, fishy light and a marble slide (Jake got the real-deal from Mary Grandma).

As for Joe and me, we're happy as can be. He got all the Grateful Dead stuff he could shake a stick at, plus new clothes and underwear (boy, that Santa sure knows how to give gifts!). And I got double of everything on my list. Seriously. I guess my list wasn't long enough because I got two food processors, two cookbooks and two sweater chests. I did get some other things, but next year I'm definitely going to work on my list. Until then, if anyone wants to chop up some veggies, bake a batch of cookies or store some woolens under their bed, just give me a call - I've got some extras you can borrow!

No comments: